Pages

Labels

Sunday 21 June 2015

Chinese year of the sheep

This weekend I felt (pardon the pun) inspired to make a hat in honour of this being the year of the sheep, it was inspired by the curly horns that some rams display. I took a bit of artistic licence with the colours...

Front

Back
I think I will add a few discreet stitches to make sure the horns stay in place and I'm also toying with the idea of adding some fabric stiffener. I have some spray on ironing starch and some CMC but have been reading that milliners paint on a specific hat stiffener on their felt hats. What do you all like to use?

6 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I used a hat stiffener before that worked fairly well. It came with the hat blocks I bought. However, I can't remember what it is called. You added water and painted it on. It was a powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, I have found someone supplying what I think you used, it sounds like it was developed as an alternative to the traditional hat stiffeners that use solvents and are therefore more challenging to ship. I think I will give the starch a try first since I already have some, and if I don't like the effect I can always wash it out....

      Delete
  2. Wow! Very creative. I've never made a hat so I can't help with the stiffner. But I love the hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn, you really should have a go at making some hats, they open up a whole world of new shapes and possibilities! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a hat! Your fantasy has no limits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Galina, some would argue that I spend too much time in my fantasy world... but I am happy here with a pile of fluffy wool and plastic sheets :)

      Delete