Pages

Labels

Sunday 11 January 2015

I  have been quite busy this week, finishing the cape with hundreds of felted tassels, I enjoyed making it but it really did take hours and hours to hand felt all those tassels! I just need to edge the neckline and add a button.



This weekend I started working on a textured wall hanging that has been festering in the back of my mind since I saw a photo of icicles hanging from a roof back in November.

This is the sketch I made at the time, as you can see it really was just a seed of an idea at the time...

I raided my goody bag looking for some interesting textures and found some silk noil and different grades of wool nepps along with some hand dyed mulberry silks that I think will make a lovely, colourful addition to the icicles. You know how ice has a sparkly quality when the light hits it just right? I thought some angelina might replicate that effect quite nicely.


Laying out the base (it's about 3ft x 4 ft)

Starting to lay out the "icicles" with some flashes of colour provided by the mulberry silk.


More on the Icicles hanging next time...

I also managed to finish my "leopard print" dress this week too, I was surprised at how long this one took, I can usually make a dress in 2 days but this took all day Sunday and then every evening last week, I finally finished it on Saturday morning! This is the front:

And the back:

I hope to get a photo of me wearing it next week.... watch this space :)

4 comments:

  1. The cape is wonderful - but it looks like a ton of work. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the icicle piece. I always like seeing icicles. We have a lot around here at the moment. I like that the dress isn't "too leopard" - looking forward to the modeling session :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth. There's something majestically beautiful about icicles isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hats off to you for all those tassels! I bet you were going cross-eyed. The icicle piece looks very promising and I'm looking forward to seeing the dress 'live'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyn, I didn't go cross eyed by my shoulders didn't half ache! Can't believe I have jumped straight into another piece (the icicles) with lots of tassels, I must be mad!!

      Delete