Pages

Labels

Sunday 25 May 2014

Seedpods Workshop with Yvonne Habbe

This week I spent 3 fabulous days in Switzerland, in the beautiful Interlaken area surrounded by awe inspiring mountains, shimmering lakes and the sound of cow bells. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

This was the view from my chalet:



My reason for going was not the beautiful scenery though, I was there to attend a workshop with Yvonne Habbe. What a workshop it was too! My head is still spinning with incredible ideas that her methods have revealed.

Initially we were set the task of making a perfect sphere, these are some of our efforts:


The title of the workshop was "Seedpods" and was focussed on creating 3D forms, here are some examples of her work that sparked my desire to attend this workshop:
Amazing aren't they?

It was a slightly unusual workshop in that we really only spent a couple of hours over the 3 days watching Yvonne demonstrate her techniques, the rest of the time was spent exploring. I am so grateful for finding myself surrounded by such a fantastic group of students, with everyone enthusiastic to share their discoveries at the end of each day. It was revealing to see all the different approaches that we took. Here are a few of our collective works:

And these are a few of my favourite pieces that I created:






The next step is to dye some of these pieces but I will save that post for another day. :)

These pieces are primarily sculptures but I also have a few ideas for some unusual bags that I am itching to try out.... watch this space!

Linking up to nina-marieoff the wall Friday

8 comments:

  1. Wow - I'm not sure I'd have got much felting done with a view like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid the views were a little distracting, especially while driving! :o/ Somehow (more luck than design) both me and the hire car made it back to the airport in one piece

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful workshop. Can't wait to see where you go with some of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine being able to take a workshop like this -- I've never seen any felted items except those that I've made, These have me in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a fantastic workshop, I had a great time and it has sparked dozens of new ideas for me. Laura, these pieces were all based on resists. If you never tried felting over a resist there is a really good tutorial here:
    http://rosiepink.typepad.co.uk/rosiepink/tutorial-how-to-make-a-wet-felted-pod.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that tutorial about 6 months ago and made my first vessel using it. Since then I've become hooked on the whole process and have been making lots of vessels! I love the idea of using white fiber and dyeing it after the work is finished, can't wait to see your results.

      Delete
  5. A very very special workshop .... I envy you ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete