Pages

Labels

Sunday 9 March 2014

Felt Pods

After reading Lyn's post I felt inspired to make some pods of my own, this one was my first foray into using Gotland wool. The pod was made from a piece of hand-dyed muslin (just visible in the lower half of the first photo), 2 layers of yellow merino and 2 layers of Gotland. I was surprised by how much the Gotland invaded the merino, the only places where you can still see the yellow merino is where the resists prevented migration of the Gotland.



The second pod was a more conventional blend of blue merino on the inside and red merino on the outside with a flash of orange merino around the largest opening for some colour contrast and "zing".




I love how the blue and red have mingled to create a purple-red colour on the lower half of the vessel.

8 comments:

  1. These turned out great. I hope you'll show everybody on the forum :) The colors on the second one are gorgeous. How did you like working with the Gotland? Certainly different than merino but I like the effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotland is an interesting wool, quite wiry to the touch when compared with merino and it felts easily enough but boy is the finished felt hairy!!

      Delete
  2. They both turned out great - but I especially like the way the colours have behaved in the second pod and the cuts make for a very interesting shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're excellent, Teri! I love the colours and textures :)
    The blue and red blending gives a great effect, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one is my favorite, I love the grey and yellow color combination. Never heard of Gotland before, but it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Laura, I'm still toying with the idea of doing a bit of needle felting on the yellow/grey one....

    ReplyDelete